This is a special episode of the Bloody Awesome Movie Podcast where Matt and Jonathan are previewing several films from the Fantasia International Film Festival. The festival runs from Thursday, 20 Aug 2020 – Wed, 2 Sep 2020. In this episode, the guys each picked three movies to discuss and brought three from friend of the show Big Tuna.
- Director: Noah Hutton
- Writers: Noah Hutton
- Cast: Dean Imperial, Madeline Wise, Babe Howard
- Synopsis: In a parallel present, delivery man Ray Tincelli is struggling to support himself and his ailing younger brother. After a series of two-bit hustles and unsuccessful swindles, Ray takes a job in a strange new realm of the gig economy: trekking deep into the forest, pulling cable over miles of terrain to connect large, metal cubes that link together the new quantum trading market. As he gets pulled deeper into the zone, he encounters growing hostility and the threat of robot cablers, and must choose to either help his fellow workers or to get rich and get out.
Crazy Samurai Mushashi (Japan)
- Director: Yûji Shimomura
- Writers: Sion Sono
- Cast: Tak Sakaguchi, Masaaki Takarai, Akihiko Sai
- Synopsis:This film, taken around the time of “Out and Deluxe,” consists of the most famous battle of the swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. In this 77-minute, one-scene, no-cut action sequence, Miyamoto (Tak Sakaguchi) defeats 588 enemies, one after the other. There is no room for error, no room for corny or unconvincing moves.
I WeirDo (Taiwan)
- Director: Ming-Yi Liao
- Writers: Ming-Yi Liao
- Cast: Nikki Hsieh, Po-Hung Lin
- Synopsis: A boy and a girl. He – Po-ching – suffers from an obsessive-compulsive disorder that forces him to constantly wash his hands. She – Ching – suffers from an obsessive-compulsive disorder that forces her to cover herself up from head to toe as though she’s trying to survive germ warfare. For society at large they’re just a couple of weirdos, but for fate they’re soul mates who sooner or later are destined to meet. And when they do, it sets in motion a bizarre sentimental short circuit.
- Director: Sidharth Srinivasan
- Writers: Sidharth Srinivasan
- Cast: Avantika Akerkar, M.D. Asif, Kishan Bahurupiya
- Synopsis: A DJ encounters a beautiful woman at a club, goes back to her home, and finds himself thrust into a nightmare odyssey of ritual magic, patriarchal death customs, and family conflict most unusual.
The Columnist (Netherlands)
- Director: Ivo van Aart
- Writers: Daan Windhorst
- Cast: Genio de Groot, Katja Herbers, Rein Hofman
- Synopsis: Fancy a bit of mindless cyber-bullying and trolling? Be careful who you pick though as the victim chosen may decide to fight back. And before you know it you might be fighting for your life! Newspaper columnist and writer’s blocked author Femke Boot (Katja Herbers from ‘Westworld’) is suddenly flooded with anonymous nasty messages and death threats on her social media pages. Who is responsible and why are they doing it? When she finds out her revenge is swift and unfortunately deadly. And her mission in life becomes crystal clear. A heightened reality, shockingly fun, pitch black comedy of manners.
- Director: John Hsu
- Writers: Shih-Keng Chien, Lyra Fu
- Cast: Gingle Wang, Meng-Po Fu, Jing-Hua Tseng
- Synopsis: Set in Taiwan during the ‘White Terror’ period of martial law, a high school girl who awakens in an empty school, only to find that her entire community has been abandoned except for one other student. Soon they realize that they have entered a realm filled with vengeful spirits and hungry ghosts.
FRIED BARRY (South Africa)
- Director: Ryan Kruger
- Writers: Ryan Kruger
- Cast: Gary Green, Brett Williams, Joey Cramer
- Synopsis: Barry is a drug-addled, abusive bastard who – after yet another bender – is abducted by aliens. Barry takes a backseat as an alien visitor assumes control of his body and takes it for a joyride through Cape Town. What follows is an onslaught of drugs, sex and violence as our alien tourist enters the weird and wonderful world of humankind. FRIED BARRY is based upon the short film of the same name, which earned 57 official selections and 12 wins at festivals around the world.
Bleed With Me (Canada)
- Director: Amelia Moses
- Writers: Amelia Moses
- Cast: Lee Marshall, Lauren Beatty, Aris Tyros
- Synopsis: During a winter getaway at an isolated cabin, a self-destructive young woman becomes convinced that her best friend is stealing her blood.
DINNER IN AMERICA (USA)
- Director: Adam Rehmeier
- Writers: Adam Rehmeier
- Cast: Kyle Gallner, Emily Skeggs, Mary Anderson
- Synopsis: An on-the-lam punk rocker and a young woman obsessed with his band unexpectedly fall in love and go on an epic journey together through America’s decaying Midwestern suburbs.
BAMP on Twitter | BAMP on Instagram | TeePublic Merchandise
Jon on Twitter | Jon on IG | Jon on Letterboxd.com
Matt on Twitter | Matt on IG | Matt on Letterboxd.com
Berkreviews.com | WhatIWatchedTonight.co.uk
X (2022) – Bloody Awesome Movie Podcast
The Bloody Awesome Movie Podcast focuses on a single film per episode, usually a new release (hopefully theatrically at some point) giving a spoiler-free review. Then Matt Hudson (@wiwt_uk) from What I Watched Tonight and Jonathan Berk (@berkreviews) from Berkreviews.com will introduce a variety of movies or pop-culture-related topics in a series of segments. Review of X (2022) Directed by Ti West Written by Ti West Starring Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, Brittany Snow, Kid Cudi, Martin Henderson, Owen Campbell, and Stephen Ure IMDb.com Synopsis: In 1979, a group of young filmmakers set out to make an adult film in rural Texas, but when their reclusive, elderly hosts catch them in the act, the cast find themselves fighting for their lives. 95% RT critic, 78 Metascore, 7.5 IMDb user score, and 3.8/5 on Letterboxd RELEASE location / DATE: Theaters Chuffed Headlines Movie/Pop culture news that caught our attention Matt’s Headline: Daniel Radcliffe Reveals He Used To Be Embarrassed Playing Harry Potter Jon’s Headline: Inside 2022 Oscars’ swanky, six-figure bags that A-list stars like Steven Spielberg will take home Media Consumption Movies, TV, Video Games, Music, Podcasts (not ours), etc that we use to pass the time Matt’s others: ForceCenter Regarding Henry, The Fisher King, Bugsy, War for the Planet of the Apes Jon’s others Blank Check – Evil Dead More Than Robots, Thelma & Louise, Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, The Army of Darkness, Crimewave, The Night of the Hunter, Fried Green Tomatoes Our Flag Means Death BAMP on Twitter | BAMP on Instagram | TeePublic Merchandise Jon on Twitter | Jon on IG | Jon on Letterboxd.com Matt on Twitter | Matt on IG | Matt on Letterboxd.com Berkreviews.com | WhatIWatchedTonight.co.uk — Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/bloody-awesome/message Support this podcast: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/bloody-awesome/support