Movies are full of great quotes, so Episode 025 of Top Five Movies focuses on some of our favorites. Jonathan Berk (@berkreviews), Corey Starr (@coreyrstarr), and Michael Sanchez (@servermonkey) discuss their favorite movie quotes from some of their favorite films. These are lists that could change at any moment, and one of the trio actually proves it. In the comments or on twitter, we’d love to hear your favorite movie quotes.
Top Five Movies… Episode 025 – Quotes
5. The World’s End (2013) – “I think you bit off more than you can chew with earth mate,” Gary King played by Simon Pegg.
“Yeah, because we’re more belligerent, more stubborn and more idiotic than you could ever imagine.” Andy Knightley played by Nick Frost.
4. Reservoir Dogs (1992) – “I don’t tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I’ll tip if somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth the effort, I’ll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned they’re just doing their job.” Mr. Pink, played by Steve Buscemi.
3. Dead Poets Society (1989) – “There’s a time for daring and there’s a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” John Keating, played by Robin Williams.
2. Fight Club (1999) – “On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.” – Edward Norton as the narrator
1. Men in Black (1997) – “A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.” Kay, played by Tommy Lee Jones.
5. Miller’s Crossing (1990) – Interaction between mob boss Leo and his counsel Tom – Leo O’Bannion: “Seein’ you mope around here ruins my, whaddya call it, ‘joy de veever’? Tom Reagan: “Joie de vivre.”
4. Big Trouble in Little China (1986) – Jack Burton realizes he’s in way over his head – “I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things.”
3. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension (1984) – In the middle of a concert, Buckaroo stops the crowd as they’re booing a despondent Penny Priddy… “Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don’t be mean; we don’t have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.”
2. Dune (1984) – Paul Atreides is talking himself into having the resolve of mind in order to overcome the Bene Gesserit witch’s test…”I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear’s path, and only I will remain.”
1. Malice (1992) – Alec Baldwin’s Dr. Jed Hill defending his decision to remove a viable ovary: “I have an M.D. from Harvard, I am board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn’t miscarry or that their daughter doesn’t bleed to death or that their mother doesn’t suffer acute neural trauma from postoperative shock, who do you think they’re praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, _Dennis_, and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you’re looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17, and he doesn’t like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.”
5. Dr. Louise Banks “If you could see your whole life laid out in front of you, would you change things?”
4. Tyler Durden, Fight Club “This is your life and it’s ending one moment at a time.”
3. Grandma, Parenthood “I always wanted to go again. You know it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together. Some didn’t like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”
2. The Secret Life of Walter Nutty
Walter: When are you going to take it?
Sean: Sometimes I don’t. If I like a moment, for me personally. I don’t like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it.
Walter: Stay in it?
Sean: Yeah. Right here. Right here.
1. Big Fish
Karl: I don’t want to eat you. I just get so hungry. I’m just too big.
Edward: Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you’re not too big, that maybe this place is just too small?”